VEGAN TOFU, SPINACH & POTATO CURRY
A warming and nutritious curry dish full of iron, magnesium and protein.
1 block of firm tofu (250g): cut into chunky cubes
1 small bottle of tomato passata (200ml)
2 tbsp tomato puree
1 cup of coconut cream
1 medium potato: peeled and cut into cubes
1 tsp of fresh turmeric: chopped/blended in a blender
1 tsp of fresh ginger: chopped/blended in a blender
1/2 red scotch bonnet pepper: chopped into small pieces or blended in a blender
1/2 tsp of Himalayan salt
6-8 fresh curry leaves (use dried if fresh is not available)
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp coriander seeds
1 tsp black mustard seeds
2 tsp of coconut oil
1 bag of spinach (washed)
1 cup of finely chopped fresh coriander
- In a small frying pan, sauté all the seeds and curry leaves in 1 tsp of coconut oil.
- Once the mustard seeds have popped, remove from heat and cover and leave to one side.
- In a large frying pan, sauté the tofu and potatoes in 1 tsp of coconut oil until they start to brown (5 minutes or so).
- Add the tomato passata and puree and stir.
- Add all the other herbs and spices and coconut milk and gently stir.
- Add 1 cup of water and the spinach and let the mixture simmer for 5 minutes.
- I use my Moroccan Tangine pot for a lot of things and this dish is no different. Transfer the curry into a tangine or casserole pot and cook in the oven for 1 hour at 180C.
- Delicious served with Basmati rice, naan bread, salad and/or yoghurt. Enjoy.
Instead of white rice, try using Basmati brown rice which is even more nutritious for you and full of flavour.
#vegan #glutenfree #tofu #vegancurry