Ingredients for basic ‘salty’ bites
1 pack organic tofu (250-300g pack) cut into bite-size pieces
2 tbsp olive/sunflower oil
4 tbsp soy sauce/Braggs amino acids (natural soy sauce flavouring that can be bought from Amazon and has numerous health benefits)
Sprinkling of black pepper
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp turmeric
1/4 tsp coriander powder
Mix all the above ingredients in a bowl with the tofu pieces. Marinade for an hour or ideally overnight.
You can saute with a couple of tbsp of sunflower/olive oil or bake in the oven – the choice is yours.
Cook until the tofu has browned. For a crispy bite, cook for about 30 minutes or for a slightly softer bite, cook for 15-20 minutes.
– Barbecue: Add the above ingredients with the addition of 2 tbsp of maple syrup and 1/2 tsp of smoke paprika
– Chilli: Depending on how hot you can handle your food, add between 1/2 inch to 1 inch fresh or 1/2 tsp dried red chilli
– Curry: Add 1/2 – 1 tsp of curry powder, 1/4 cup coconut milk
– Chinese: Add 2 tbsp honey/maple syrup, 1 tsp sesame seeds, 1/2 tsp chilli powder, 4 tbsp pineapple juice
– Mediterranean: Add 1 tsp ‘zataar’ mix with 1/2 tsp sesame seeds
Once the bites are cooked, you can eat on their own which makes a great snack, add to salads, soups or enjoy in sandwiches, curry’s, stews plus so many more ways to enjoy.