VEGAN CREAMY MINESTRONE SOUP
This a warming hearty soup, filling and satisfying just on its own. The great thing about ‘minestrone’ is that you can add any vegetables you can into the pot and aids the theme of eating in season!
Play around and enjoy the different variables you can mix up!
2 courgettes: washed and sliced
2 medium potatoes: peeled and cut into cubes
2 stalks celery: sliced
1 carrot: peeled and sliced
1 can cannelloni beans: drained
1 can chunky chopped tomatoes
2 tbsp tomato puree
1 green pepper: washed and cut into bite-size pieces
1 red pepper: washed and cut into bite-size pieces
1/2 cup coriander: finely chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup pre-washed white Basmati rice or 1/2 cup pasta shells
Salt & pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan add the oil and gently sauté the all the vegetables except tomatoes and herbs
- After 5 minutes, add the chopped tomatoes
- Add 2 litres of just boiled water
- Add the tomato puree and salt
- Add the rice/pasta
- Cover and simmer on low heat for 30 minutes
- When all the vegetables are tender, add the beans, generous amount of black pepper
- Serve with a sprinkling of coriander or a sprig of rosemary
Instead of white potato, this dish also tastes great with sweet potato. Try this for an even more nutritious soup!
For added creamy-ness, add 1/2 can of coconut milk/cream. This tastes truly delicious and satisfying.