Fermentation is a great way to use vegetables and the process helps to aid digestion naturally.
It is a delicious addition to any meal.
You can use the recipe below for any vegetables however I have chosen the most popular vegetable that is fermented….cabbage!
1 green cabbage
1 tbsp sea salt/Himalayan salt
- In a bowl add the cabbage and sprinkle the salt over the cabbage
- Gently massage the salt into the cabbage. This will start to release its own liquid
- Put the cabbage into a glass container and leave for a couple of hours and repeat the massaging process a few times
- Leave the jar somewhere cool for 48 hours, after which your sauerkraut will be ready
- You can flavour your sauerkraut. I love Juniper berries (which you can find at any good health food shop). Other options are: caraway seeds, dill seeds, coriander seeds, black peppercorns.
I love to mix up my sauerkraut with other raw veggies e.g. radishes, cucumber, celery and even sea vegetables (which have been soaked overnight if dried).
The list is endless. Play around with this recipe first and then start adding seasonal vegetables into the mix!