Chia seeds are an excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids, which help to raise HDL cholesterol. HDL is the “good” cholesterol that protects against heart attack and stroke. Chia seeds are also rich in antioxidants, and they provide fiber, iron, and calcium.
I love to make Chia seeds into a porridge as it not only quick and easy, it is tasty depending on what you combine it with. Chia seeds have no taste on their own therefore it is important to combine them with other delicious tasty and healthy foods.
Here, I make a simple chia and coconut porridge with a mango puree.
1/2 cup chia seeds
2 cups filtered still water
1 cup coconut milk
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 mango, skin removed and stone removed
2 tbsp desiccated coconut or coconut flakes, toasted (optional)
- In a bowl add the chia seeds and water and mix with a hand help whisk until the mix comes together
- Add the coconut milk and continue to mix
- Add cinnamon and mix and put the mix in the fridge to cool for 30 minutes (optional)
- In a separate bowl you can either puree the mango or cut into squares
- In serving bowls add the chia porridge, add a layer of mango, top with more chia porridge and add a few mango pieces with a sprinkling of cinnamon powder on top
- Sprinkle some coconut on top of the porridge before serving.