VEGAN BEETROOT SOUP
This soup is so nutritious and especially good during the winter or if you are suffering with a cold/flu, stuffy nose, blocked sinus. It is packed full of vegetables and nourishing to both body and mind!
4 medium raw beetroot: washed and cubed
4 stalks of celery: sliced
1 can cannelloni beans (in water)
8 chestnut/white/shiitake mushrooms: cut into quarters or sliced
1 cup of green cabbage: sliced
1 medium carrot: peeled and sliced
Small handful of dried Wakame seaweed
1 bunch of fresh parsley, chopped finally
Salt or Miso (at the end of cooking process)
Pepper to taste
- In a saucepan, fill up with 2 litres of just boiled water
- Add all the vegetables including the seaweed except mushrooms and beetroot and simmer for 20 minutes
- Add beetroot and simmer for a further 10 minutes
- Add mushrooms and simmer for a further 10 minutes
- Add the cannelloni beans
- It is ok for the vegetables to still have a bite to them as this soup works well ‘al-dente’
- Serve into soup bowls and top with a generous portion of fresh parsley
- If you use miso instead of salt, mix 2 tbsp of miso into a dish with 4/5 tbsp of warm water and then drizzle a little into each soup bowl. Individuals can add more later if needed
- Add black pepper
- Serve with some crusty sourdough bread/croutons or raw crackers to complete this meal.
Optional: you can add white or sweet potato to make this soup more hearty.
You can use any type of bean that you like instead of cannelloni – butter beans, black beans, chick peas etc.
In this dish we have added Wakame Seaweed however there are many different types of seaweed that you can try and play around with. When you add seaweed, it not only enhances the nutritious elements of the dish, any dish, it adds saltiness so be careful if/when adding additional salt of any type.