1 1/2 cup self raising/gluten free flour
1/2 cup sunflower oil
1 cup soya/almond milk
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp bicarb soda
Pinch of salt
1/2 cup chopped dates
4 ripe bananas
If using gluten free flour, add 1 level tsp xanthum gum
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- Pre-heat the oven at 180C
- In a mixing bowl, mash 4 bananas with a fork
- Add the oil, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, baking powder and bicarb and mix well
- Add the dates and mix
- Add the flour (and xanthum gum if using gluten free flour) and the milk and mix thoroughly
- If using gluten free flour and the mixture is dry, add 1/2 cup of cold water to the mix
- You can put the mixture in a greased loaf tin, square baking tray or muffin cases
- Bake for 30 minutes and then remove from oven and cool
- To make this a chocolate banana cake, add 4 tbsp of cocoa powder and remove 4 tbsp of flour.
- To make this a chocolate chip banana cake, add 4 tbsp of cocoa powder and remove 4 tbsp of flour and add 1/2 cup of chocolate chips.
- To make this a banana, date & walnut cake, add 1/2 cup of chopped walnuts to the mixture before placing into the oven. You can also add some whole walnuts on the top of the mixture once placed into your loaf/baking tray or muffin cases.
**This dish is vegan and can be gluten free*