Buckwheat has been one of my favourite grains of late and making pancakes with it has been on my to-do list for some time.
It’s healthy, nutritious and naturally gluten free!
Buckwheat flour has a nutty flavor and slightly grainier texture than regular flour. The graininess is only slightly noticeable and not unpleasant at all. It also cooks up darker than most flours making it look chocolately.
You can use buckwheat flour in place of regular flour in a ratio of 1 to 1. There is no guessing, simply replace the flour called for in most recipes with buckwheat flour.
If you haven’t tried it yet, hopefully this will give you some encouragement.
Buckwheat is a great alternative to oats and other grains you may use and has the following benefits:
- Improves Heart Health By Lowering Cholesterol and Blood Pressure Levels. …
- Contains Disease-Fighting Antioxidants. …
- Provides Highly Digestible Protein. …
- High Fiber Content Helps Improve Digestion. …
- Can Help Prevent Diabetes. …
- Doesn’t Contain Gluten and Is Non-Allergenic. …
- Supplies Important Vitamins and Minerals.
Makes 8 pancakes (2 main or 4 smaller plates)
- 1 cup plant based milk (I used almond for this recipe)
- juice of 1/2 lemon or 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- 2 tablespoons coconut or organic pure cane sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, optional
- pinch of salt
- coconut oil, for the pan
- Toppings: add fruits of your choice (banana and/or berries of your choice to serve) and nut butters also work well
- pure maple syrup, to serve
- Make vegan ‘buttermilk’ by adding the milk and lemon juice/vinegar in a measuring jug and leave aside for 10 minutes.
- Preheat your frying pan, add 1 tablespoon of coconut oil and spread to coat pan.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, add flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon and salt, mix well.
- Add in vegan buttermilk and mix well.
- Using a 1/4 cup measuring cup, scoop up batter and place in centre of frying pan.
- Once the top forms bubbles and mixture has come together, about 2 – 3 minutes, flip and cook the other side for 2 -3 minutes.
- Serve with berries of choice and pure maple syrup.
For a savoury topping, you can add Tofu Scramble & slices of Avocado.