This is a highly nutritious rice bowl dish flavoured with the powerful flavours of Shiitake mushrooms as well as the nutritious green kale. This dish will leave you feeling full and satisfied that you have enjoyed something good for the body, gut and mind.
For the rice
1 tbsp sunflower or sesame oil
2 cups brown rice (rinsed until water runs clear)
1 tbsp mirin
5 cups cold water (brown rice needs more water to cook well)
For the veggies
1 pack (approx 300g) shiitake mushrooms, remove stalks and slice into bite-size pieces
1/2 pack of Chinese cabbage, finely sliced
200g fresh kale
5 tbsp tamari or Braggs soy sauce
1 inch fresh ginger, finely sliced
1/8 tsp dried chilli flakes
2 tbsp maple syrup
2 tbsp sunflower or sesame oil
1 tsp black sesame seeds
Fresh coriander leaves for garnish.
- Pre-heat the oven to 160C
- In a mixing bowl add the kale and massage in 1 tbsp of oil and 1 tbsp Tamara/soy sauce.
- On a flat baking tray, lay out the kale and bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until crispy without burning (no more than 30 minutes).
- In a sauce pan, cook the brown rice in 5 cups of water with the the mirin and 1 tbsp of oil.
- Once the rice comes to a boil, cover and simmer on a low flame/temperature and cook until rice is soft (approx. 30 minutes).
- Meanwhile, in a frying pan add 1 tbsp oil, ginger, chilli flakes and cabbage and sauté for about 5 minutes.
- Add the Shiitake mushrooms and sauté for about 10 minutes until the mushrooms start to cook through.
- Finally add the soy sauce, sesame seeds and maple syrup and mix well.
- Put on a low heat, cover and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Once everything is ready, in a nice serving bowl add some brown rice, top with the veggie mix and garnish with fresh coriander leaves. If you fancy, add more sesame seeds and soy sauce to taste. ENJOY!
This dish is Vegan and Gluten Free.