As Christmas draws closer, this delicious nutritious and full of protein dish is a great main show stopper to take pride at the centre of any dining table. It can be enjoyed for any special occasion or regular Sunday roast. This is a vegan and gluten free dish.
2 cups closed cup/chestnut mushrooms
2 sticks of celery
1/2 cup finely sliced white cabbage (or 1 medium onion sliced)
1 medium carrot
1 red pepper
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 cup red lentils, washed in cold water and boiled until tender
2 tbsp tomato puree
200ml veggie stock water (use more liquids if mixture is too dry)
1 cup sourdough/gluten free bread
1/2 cup whole walnuts
1/2 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
1/2 cup strong vegan cheese (parmesan style)
2 tbsp olive/sunflower oil
4 tbsp cranberry sauce (optional)
- Pre-heat oven at 180C
- In a blender mix the walnuts until chopped but not to crumbs
- In the same blender (with the walnuts still inside, hook up the grater attachment and start to grate all the vegetables, herbs, bread & cheese and empty contents into a bowl
- In a measuring jug, measure the stock water and mix in well the oil, tomato puree & dried herbs and pour over the veggie mix until well combined
- Pour the mixture into a greased loaf tin or 8″ cake tin (if you wish it to be round) Optional: you can layer the top of the nut roast with some cranberry sauce which adds to the flavour as well as texture and look
- Bake in the oven, covered with a piece of grease proof sheet for 30 minutes and then uncovered for 15 minutes until browned.
This dish is delicious served with the usual roasted vegetables: potatoes, parsnips and with steamed vegetables: brussel sprouts, broccoli, carrots & cauliflower, with a delicious home-made mushroom veggie gravy.
Instead of Yorkshire puddings, I created a delicious puff pastry ‘puff’ to complement any roast dinner where you won’t feel you are missing out on Yorkshire puds! Try for yourself – you will LOVE it!
Click here for the puff pastry yorkshire puds! Vegan Cheats Yorkshire pudding puffs